Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Image of God ...... or when people become "Strawmen"





We should always avoid making "Straw Men" arguments.  We should work hard not to reduce our opponent's arguments to absurdities;  I will go one step further-- whenever possible we should imagine the best version of our opponent's argument and contend with this version instead of what the person has actually said.  That said:  sometimes people make absurdly stupid arguments.  For instance, GOP Ohio state lawmaker Nino Vitale has publicly insisted he won't where a face mask.  The reason?  He does not want to hide the image of God present in his own countenance.  No one should deny that Vitale bears the mark of his Maker, but his comment displays a woeful lack of understanding about Christian teachings around the image of God.  In the age of social media such absurdly stupid arguments can function as profound distractions. I am blogging about it aren't I and why?  Well, in part because his comments provide an emotionally powerful verification for me.  How stupid! All my opponents are kind of stupid. ...

I am trying my best to stop feeding off such vindication.  If I was Vitale's teacher then I think I would start by saying:  indeed the image of God can be a basis of thinking about our own inherent worth (although all theologians don't see it this way).  For thinkers who focus on the image of God as an affirmation of the inherent worth of every human-beings it is natural to talk about this image in connection with human rights.  Yet, it is important to remember that the focus of Christian teachings on the image of God is not individualized--every person is fully, truly, and wholly made in the image of God.  The question you should be asking is does your right to "be seen" trump your neighbors right to be safe (particularly your weakest neighbors).  

Yet, we all know what kind of response I would likely get if I posted this in the comment sections of his article. 

A few years back I decided that I would try my best to not argue with people on Facebook.  I boldly told Doug that the people on Twitter and in the comment sections of articles do not really exist. ( I meant by this that the mostly anonymous opinions that people screech out in the middle of the night probably don't represent that person's worldview.)  

Yet, the comment section seemed to be a considerable voting bloc in the last election. 

 Is it wise to let all of these misguided opinions to remain unchecked? 

I don't know.   I do know that I am not that great of a debater.  I realized a few years ago that I have a tendency to simplify arguments. I am a pontificator and preacher by nature and inclination.  I believe firmly with Mr. Rogers that too much in our world is shallow and complex, but that the point of existence is to find truths that are simple and deep.  

I am trying my best to keep saying over and over again the things that I find to be simple, but deep.  I also will try my best to take every opportunity afforded me to say them. 

If I had any response to Nino Vitale it would simply--your neighbor's life is as precious as your life! Where a mask.    

If he refused to understand that basic point it wouldn't be because he is stupid.... 

It would be because he doesn't want to understand.... and the solution for that is not more argument.... 

it is conversion. 



1 comment: